Closing up your Florida home: laundry and bath
- Turn off the water supply to the washing machine to eliminate pressure damage to the hoses. If possible, clean the washer’s lint filter (check your manual for location and care).
- Clean the dryer’s lint filter and unplug the dryer, if possible. Use a leaf blower to blow out the dryer’s vent exhaust tubing.
- If you are planning on being away from your home for more than a month, consider turning off your water heater. For shorter absences, turn the water heater’s thermostat to its lowest setting.
- Clean soap residue from sinks, showers and/or bath tubs.
- Close toilet lids, and cover toilets with a plastic wrap or bag.
- Put stoppers in drains.
- All linens should be left clean and dry.
- If you keep linens in the bathroom, keep linen door open for ventilation.
Next time, we will discuss bedrooms, lanais and other common areas of your home.