Get Out the Grill for Some Creamy, Grilled Avocados!
Avocados are filled with healthy fats and have 60% more heart-healthy potassium than bananas. Florida avocados’ flesh holds up well for grilling and are great for cubing and slicing for adding to salads or sandwiches. They also have less
fat than other varieties and 1/3 less calories. I tend to think of guacamole when I hear avocados, but the delicious ways to enjoy this fruit are endless!
Here is a recipe developed by Bintu Hardy for grilled avocados that you can easily modify for your tastes and what you have in your fridge. It would be great using black beans and rice or adding a little grilled chicken. OR you could just grill up the avocados, add a sprinkle of lemon or lime juice and serve it up like that! Enjoy!
Grilled Avocados Stuffed With Veggie Quinoa
Recipe by Bintu Hardy. Find her website here: https://recipesfromapantry.com/grilled-avocado-stuffed-with-veggie-quinoa-vegan-gluten-free/
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Calories 402 kcal
For the vegetable quinoa:
- 150 g (1 cup) quinoa, washed and drained
- 4 spring onions , sliced
- Half of a small cucumber , deseeded and chopped
- 4 tomatoes , finely chopped
- 50 g (1.7oz) cooked sweetcorn kernels
- 1 handful of chopped parsley
- 1 handful of chopped coriander
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
For the grilled avocados:
- 12 large avocados
- 1 lime , juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Extra lime slices
Make the vegetable quinoa:
- Cook quinoa according to packet instructions, let cool and transfer to the salad bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients, including lemon juice and olive oil to your taste to the quinoa, mix and set aside.
Grill the avocados:
- Fire up the barbeque and wait till the coals are medium hot.
- Halve the avocados and remove the seed but leave the skin on.
- Brush the avocado halves with lime juice, followed by some olive oil.
- Brush the grill with some oil and grill the avocados flesh side down for about 3 mins then remove from the heat.
Stuff the avocados:
- Stuff the avocados with as much vegetable quinoa as they can hold and serve with extra lime slices.