New Episode from Naturally Florida
Naturally Florida (a podcast about Florida’s natural areas and the wild things that live here) recently released a new episode about Florida’s gopher tortoises.
Check it out, below on Spotify, or on your favorite podcast platform.
If you enjoyed this episode about the gopher tortoise, please consider sharing it with a friend.
You can find all the podcast platforms where Naturally Florida is published, submit feedback, or request future topics at www.naturallyfloridapodcast.com
Learn more about the Gopher Tortoise:
Watch our webinar: https://youtu.be/1QhwxOb0Cb4
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission – Gopher Tortoise Program: https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/wildlife/gopher-tortoise/
The Gopher Tortoise Council – https://gophertortoisecouncil.org/gopher-tortoise
How You Can Help Florida’s Gopher Tortoises:
Help get them out of the road – Place them on the side of the road in the direction they were heading (Note: Do not place them in water)
- Avoid disturbing gopher tortoise burrows (this includes pets)
- Add native forage species to your yard – https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/wildlife/gopher-tortoise/help/plant-guide/
- Support prescribed burning in your area to support the ecosystems that support gopher tortoises
- Support longleaf pine restoration efforts wherever possible
- Find out what to do if you find a gopher tortoise near you (injured, healthy, or deceased): https://myfwc.com/education/wildlife/gopher-tortoise/tortoise-sightings/
Sources for this Episode:
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission – Gopher Tortoise Education: https://myfwc.com/education/wildlife/gopher-tortoise/
- Fire Effects Information System – Species: Gopherus polyphemus – https://www.fs.usda.gov/database/feis/animals/reptile/gopo/all.html
Learn about other episodes from Naturally Florida by Clicking Here.
University of Florida IFAS Extension is committed to diversity of people, thought and opinion, to inclusiveness and to equal opportunity.
UF/IFAS Extension is an Equal Opportunity Institution.