Sustainable Summer Savings
As we Floridians know it is that time of year again, which means spending more money on keeping ourselves cool. Here are a few tips to increase savings on your utility bill and also stay comfortable:
- Fans work great to cool you down – don’t forget to turn them off when you are not around since they do not cool the air, just your body.
- Work outdoors in the early morning or late evening when it is much cooler to protect you from the sun’s rays also.
- Clean your A/C filters monthly to get the best performance and follow manufacturer’s maintenance recommendations.
- Set your thermostat to 78°F in the summer. At this temperature your AC will still remove unwanted moisture from the air and keep your house comfortable. It is important NOT to turn the system all the way off when you are not at home. The high temperatures and moisture build-up can lead to the growth of mold.
- Keep blinds and curtains closed during the hottest part of the day to keep rooms cool.
- Use compact fluorescent lamps that give off less heat than conventional bulbs and use 75% less energy. Better yet, consider switching to LEDs to lower your overall energy costs.
- Taking cooler showers not only helps you remain comfortable, but also saves money on your utilities bill.
- Plant trees to shade your yard and home. Having a sustainable landscape will help you reduce fertilizer, water, and energy use: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep374.
For more information on energy efficient homes: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/topic_series_energy_efficient_homes