The date of the annual 4-H Open House and Apple Cook-Off is rapidly approaching. All 4-H clubs are invited to promote their clubs, sell items to raise funds, share 4-H activities and experiences, and enjoy the day with the Pinellas County community. As of this writing, we have the following activities lined up:
- Ambassadors 4-H is hosting the Extreme Gingerbread House Contest
- Crazy 4 Canines is selling pet treats
- Ochs 4-H Garden Club is sharing news of the vegetable garden and making apple chips
- Pony Pals 4-H is hosting an activity, perhaps horse related
- 4-H Horse Program display
- Tasting of Apple Cook-Off entries
- All Things Equine 4-H is selling personalized brushes
- Consumer Choices Skill-a-thon
- District Council
There are more displays planned. If your club is interested in being part of the 4-H Open House, there is still time to reserve a table. Please contact Jean Rogalsky at (727) 582-2597 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A big part of this day is the Apple Cook-Off. Pre-Registration forms are available on the 4-H website, or from the 4-H Office. The deadline has been extended, but is limited to the first twenty entries. The recipes can be sweet or savory. Apples can be used in a variety of ways, so be creative! And don’t forget that 4-H pecans go very well with apples.
After registering for the contest, be prepared to bring the finished product to the Extension Office by 10:00 A.M. November 1.
Another big event on November 1 is the opening of Market in the Park and the grand opening of the Children’s Trail.
These events take place at Pinellas County Extension, 12520 Ulmerton Road, Largo. The Open House runs from 10:00 in the morning until 3:00 in the afternoon. Come join us for a great day!