Fertilizer is Regulated. Become a Certified Applicator. Take GI-BMP Class on 12/16/21.
That is right! Fertilizer is regulated in Florida and in Orange County. Every person that applies fertilizer for hire is required by law to have a Limited Certification for Urban Landscape Fertilizer application. Fertilizer is regulated because we know that fertilizer drives algae growth in lakes and contributes to other water quality issues. Proper application of fertilizer keeps lawns green and waters blue! There are 3 steps to satisfy the legal requirements of Florida Law and the Orange County Fertilizer Ordinance.
- State of Florida training requirements: GI-BMP (Green Industries Best Management Practices) is a 6-hour training about best landscaping practices. Every prospective fertilizer applicator is required to attend the 6-hour class and pass an exam with a 75% or higher score. Once you pass, you have your GI-BMP Certificate forever. You must complete STEP 2 in order to be a certified applicator. The class is available in a variety of formats and languages, English, Spanish, and Creole on the GI-BMP website.
- WHAT: Green Industries Best Management Practices (GI-BMP)
- CEUs: 4 total FDACS CEUs in the following categories – 2 Core 482, 2 Core 487, 2 Private Ag, 2 Ornamental Turf, 2 Limited Commercial Landscape Maintenance (LCLM), 2 Limited Lawn & Ornamental, 2 Limited Urban Fertilizer, 2 Commercial Lawn & Ornamental
- WHEN: Thursday, December 16, from 8:15 am – 3:30 pm
- WHERE: LIVE Virtual Zoom Meeting (link emailed to registered participants before class)
- COST: $25 total ($10 class registration fee on Eventbrite, $15 exam fee)
- PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED BY 12/8/21: ocextension.eventbrite.com
- State of Florida licensing requirements: Limited Urban Fertilizer Certification is the license required to be obtained through FDACS upon successful completion of the GI-BMP Class and Exam in STEP 1. This is the license that CERTIFIES YOU AS A FERTILIZER APPLICATOR. You are required to recertify every 4 years with 4 CEUs (2 Core 482 and 2 Limited Urban Fertilizer). A live GI-BMP class will satisfy the CEU requirement for license renewal for any individuals that have already taken GI-BMP and passed the exam. Whether a new trainee or recertifying, you will upload your GI-BMP certificates or your CEU forms here: https://aesecomm.freshfromflorida.com/Default.aspx?type=EPC.
- Orange County Fertilizer Ordinance Requirements: Orange County has a fertilizer ordinance. You MUST do STEP 1 and 2 and then work with Orange County to complete STEP 3. There are local regulations linked. Fertilizers applied in Orange County must have limited Nitrogen (65% slow release), 0 Phosphorus (unless soil test shows deficiency), no grass clippings in streets, 15 foot buffers near water, and use of deflector shields. You are required to show proof of licensure and GET A DECAL FOR YOUR VEHICLES used during application.