Q: Are azaleas toxic to pet and cattle?

A: Both wild and domesticated varieties of azalea can be toxic to animals. The severity of the symptoms will differ depending on the size of the animal and how much was ingested. It would be unusual for dogs or cats to ingest azalea leaves if they are well fed and normally kept indoors. However, that is not the case with cattle or horses which might be tempted by the dark green leaves growing just within reach of their mouths. The animal may experience nausea, vomiting and possibly labored breathing. If any of these symptoms occur, please contact your veterinarian as soon as possible. They will provide the best and safest instructions for immediate care. If you suspect your pet or livestock may have eaten plant material, it would be wise to take samples to the vet just to be safe. Consider removing the azaleas to another area away from your livestock so you can enjoy the plants and they will not be a temptation to the animals. The attached publication is from Cornell University which will provide a short list of poisonous plants to avoid if you have a pet attracted to plants. http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/yates/mg7.4.01.htm


Avatar photo
Posted: July 7, 2017

Category: Home Landscapes
Tags: Azalea, Toxic

Subscribe For More Great Content

IFAS Blogs Categories