On Monday, December 18th, Levy County 4-H hosted their annual bake-off along with their Holiday Party. This year’s event was a success with seven categories represented. Eighteen 4-H participants entered 23 baked items into the competition in hopes of earning the top award, a giant golden spoon. The category winners for this year were as follows:
- Breads – Mr. Nox Hobby
- Cakes – Mr. Sergio Mendoza, with an honorable mention
……awarded to Miss Mackenzie Henderson
- Candies – Mr. Adrian Mendoza
- Cookies – Mr. Blane Varnes
- Decorated Cakes – Miss Regan Varnes
- Pies – Miss Isabelle Sauder
- Best of Show – Mr. Sergio Mendoza
- Best of Show & Winner of the Giant Golden Spoon – Mr. Sergio Mendoza
- Cloverbuds (participation only) – Miss Kaylee Bellamy, Miss Lindsey Grace Brault,
……and Miss Emmalee Sache
The bake-off awards were presented during the annual Holiday Party with over 50 people in attendance. This year was the first year a chili cook-off was included in the festivities. Four chili entries were submitted and the kids voted for their favorite chili. The winner of the chili cook-off was Ms. Shawn Royce with Animal Adventures. Gingerbread house decorating, toilet paper snowmen, and Christmas Jeopardy were among the festive activities for the youth. The adults enjoyed an evening of visiting with other 4-H families.
A fun time was had by all.
A special thanks to Mrs. Yolanda Smith for helping put together the gingerbread house kits and to our bake-off judges for coming out to support our youth. If you would like more information about the Levy County 4-H Youth Development program please contact the extension office at (352) 486-5131 or visit the website by clicking here.