Suwannee Valley Youth Livestock Show & Sale: Rules and Fair Dates
The end of the year is not only the Holiday Season, it is that time when youth begin to prepare for the Livestock Show & Sale at the Suwannee County Fair. November is the time to buy a small hog/steer to raise to show at the fair and eventually sell at the auction. Raising an animal for the show not only gives youth an opportunity to make money to save for college, it teaches them responsibility. They must raise their animal, feed them, spend time with them and work with them, and keep a record book of all of it.
Rules, Regulations, Fair Dates
- Entries must be an active 4-H or FFA member and at least 8 years of age by September 1st of the previous year.
- Only one animal per club can sell and only one animal per FFA chapter as well.
- All hogs must sell and go to slaughter. All market steers will be sold for slaughter. A 5% sales commission will be charged to each exhibitor. (sales commissions are used for fair supplies and awards for the following year, no profit is made through this organization)
- An official Suwannee Valley Youth Livestock Show & Sale Record Book must be kept on all entries.
- Exhibitors are limited to two entries: one hog and one steer, two steers, or two hogs.
- Entries must be owned and in the possession of the exhibitor by specified date in December.
- Entries are received at the Fairgrounds on specified date and time. No hogs or steers are allowed to be left on trailers overnight.
- Entries must meet specified weight requirements and will be weighed upon delivery to the show barn.
- Hogs must be clipped prior to arrival. Steers must be castrated and dehorned prior to initial weigh-in.
- At weigh-in, tag numbers must comply with those listed on the entry form.
- Animals will be judged on the Modified Danish System.
- Awards Given- Grand Champion, Reserve Grand Champion, Division Winners, Junior Showmanship, Intermediate Showmanship, Senior Showmanship, Best Record Book Junior, Best Record Book Intermediate, Best Record Book Senior. Steer Only: Gain in Weight- first, second, third, Home Grown Champion, Feeder Champion, Feeder Reserve Champion, Herdsman Award.
- In the event of the exhibitor has two swine/steer entries, the highest placing animal will sell through the ring, the remaining animal will be sold at market price. (Market price bid is made the day of the Show & Sale)
- The decision of the judges is final.
- The Suwannee County Fair Association and the Suwannee Valley Youth Livestock Show & Sale assume no liability whatsoever.
- It is the exhibitors responsibility to obtain the name and address of his/her buyer. A copy of the thank you letter written to the buyer must be given to the show secretary to receive exhibitor check.
- Checks will not be mailed; they must be picked up and signed for at the Extension Office.
- It is understood that all exhibitors in the show agree to comply with these rules.
December Weigh-In/Tagging Date & Times
This year’s weigh-in/tagging will be on Saturday, December 9, 2017. Steer weigh-in will begin at 8:00 am. Hog Tagging will begin at 9:30 am and finish when all hogs are tagged. Please refer to the rules for any specifications.
2018 Livestock Show Dates
Monday, March 19, 2018
- 8:00 – 10:00 am – Hog Weigh-in
- 6:30 pm – Hog Showmanship
Tuesday, March 20, 2018
- 8:00 – 10:00 am – Steer Weigh-in
- 6:30 pm – Market Hog Show
Wednesday, March 21, 2018
- 6:30 pm – Steer Show
Thursday, March 22, 2018
- 9:00 am – Awards, Livestock Show & Sale to follow immediately after
Lunch will be provided after the sale for the buyers at the Dixie Grill in Suwannee County.
Other Show Categories at the Fair
There are several other categories of animals that can be shown at the Suwannee County Fair. There is a Dairy Show, Beef Heifer Show, Rabbit Show, and Poultry Show all available for children 5 and up. If you would like to know more about the fair, visit http://www.suwanneecountyfair.org/
Chris Vann- Extension Agent- 4-H/Agriculture