VITA Free Tax Preparation Offered at Jefferson County Library
FREE INCOME TAX PREPARATION PROGRAM
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
The 2018 tax filing season is beginning soon and this year the UF IFAS Jefferson County Extension Office is offering free tax preparation at the Jefferson County Library.
This free Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax preparation service is called VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) and is offered in a safe and secure environment by trained and certified tax volunteers. All personal information is kept secure & confidential.
VITA is designed to promote and support free tax preparation service for the underserved, in both urban and non-urban locations, for low-to-moderate income individuals, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English speaking.
Appointments are required, and an appointment sign up sheet is available now at the Jefferson County Library. Appointments are scheduled to begin February 8th.
Several days of appointments will be available each month at the library, but spots will fill up quickly so make sure to make your appointment ahead of time and mark your calendar.
You will also want to make sure you have all of your documentation collected to bring with you to your appointment. Below is a list of documents you will need.
PLEASE BRING THE FOLLOWING TO YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- Photo identification for all adults, if married and filling a join tax return, both spouses must be present to sign forms.
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return or a Social Security number verification letter, or ITIN Letter
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- All relevant paperwork including:
- All Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax ID number.
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
- Your Bank Routing and Account Numbers for refund via direct deposit.
- If you want to itemize deductions, bring a written or typed list with amounts, mileage, charitable organization addresses, etc. and supporting documentation such as receipts and tax forms. If you have questions about what you need to itemize or if you have enough deductions to itemize, call the Extension Office at 850-342-0187.
VITA tax preparation appointments at the Jefferson County Library are currently scheduled for February 8th, 10th, 15th, 16th, March 3rd, 7th, 19th, April 9th and 12th. Available time slots vary depending on the day.
To schedule an appointment contact the Jefferson County Library at 850-342-0205.
There are some items that are out of scope for VITA sites. If you have extensive investments, K1 forms, or drive for uber, you can still have your return prepared for free at the AARP tax site in Tallahassee.
AARP tax sites are walk in only and will be open in February located at Capital City Christian Church in Tallahassee at 6115 Mahan Drive. Hours are Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 4:30 Pm to 8:30 PM. An AARP tax site is also located at First Presbyterian Church in downtown Tallahassee located at 110 North Adams Street. Hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 11AM to 3PM.
If you have rental income with expenses, farm income, or a business loss your return is out of scope for VITA and AARP sites.
If you are interested in filing your taxes yourself and your income is $66,000 or less, you can file for free online at http://www.unitedway.org/myfreetaxes/.