Jackson County Agriculture Conference Center
2741 Pennsylvania Ave, Marianna, FL 32448
The Florida Forest Service (FFS) and UF/IFAS Extension will be conducting a Certified Pile Burners Course on 24th of July, 2013. This course will show you how to burn piles legally, safely and efficiently. Most importantly, it could save a life. If you burn piles regularly, don’t put off registering for this training. When the weather is dry, certified pile burners will receive priority for authorization to burn. Also, certified pile burners are allowed to burn up to two hours longer per day and get multiple day authorizations. Don’t wait. The number of trainings offered and attendance at each training is LIMITED. This training will be held from 8:30 am till 4:30 pm at the Jackson County Extension Office located in Marianna, Florida. Below is a link to the registration packet, which includes the program agenda, and directions to the facility.
Registration is required to attend and class size is limited. To attend please download, complete and return the registration form with the following: (see the link to registration packet below)
- Your full name (as wanted on your pile burning certificate).
- Your mailing address (where you want the certificate mailed).
- Your Florida Forest Service Customer Number (It is the number that you are required to give the FFS when you call in for your burn permits. If you do not know it please call the local FFS office and ask them to create one for you).
- Your email address (if you have one) and/or contact phone number.
- A check made out to “Extension Services” for $50.00.
The first fifty individuals to provide these five requirements will be registered; there will be a 7-day non refundable fee limit. If you do not make the training and did not contact our office at least one week before the class, you will not receive a refund. There will be a test at the end of the session. You must receive a grade of 70% or higher on the exam and demonstrate a proper pile burn with your local FFS office to become certified. Once you are certified it will be noted with your customer number, thus it is important for us to have the proper number. If you do not have a customer number the FFS office will set one up for you. Fill out the registration form on the next page and return as directed.
Here a few Frequently Asked Questions, more are included in the registration packet:
- Why should I be a certified pile burner? Certified pile burners are trained to burn piles legally, safely and efficiently. Most importantly, it could save a life. Also, when the weather is dry, certified pile burners will receive priority for authorization to burn by the Florida Forest Service (FFS). Also, certified pile burners are allowed to burn up to two hours longer per day and get multiple day authorizations.
- Is there a test? Yes, the test is 20 questions and open-book. You must receive a score of at least 70% to pass.
- What if I don’t pass? Very few people fail the test but if you do, you will be provided another opportunity to take the test at a later date. If you fail the second time, you must re-register and take the training again.
- How long does my certification last? As long as the person with the certification uses their number at least 5 times in a period of 5 years their certification will not expire under the current program. You MUST complete the certification burn within a year of taking the class.
- Will I be certified at the end of the one day training? No, you will need to follow the written instructions that you will receive from the Forest Service to become certified. You will need to complete a simple burn plan, have it reviewed and approved locally by the FFS and also have the burn itself reviewed and approved by the FFS. From that point, the local FFS office will send the expected documentation to Tallahassee to recommend certification for you.
Download the information Packet:
Jackson County Certified Pile Burning Course 7-24-13
For additional information:
On this specific training to be held in Jackson County, contact: Doug Mayo or 850-482-9620
For more information on the Certified Pile Burner Program: Florida Forest Service Pile Burner Course
Florida Forest Service