By Joshua Kutyna, Indian River Extension Program Assistant for Nickie Munroe
Everyone is out enjoying the beauty of Florida. It is easy to forget how dangerous it can be to stay outside for prolonged periods in our warm weather. Dehydration can set in without you noticing it. Here are a few ways your body will tell you that you have not had enough fluids:
- Light/medium headache- can progress into a more intense headache. Instead of taking a pill, try slowly drinking one or two glasses of water. Wait a while to see if your symptoms are reduced or eliminated.
- Dizziness or sluggishness- if you are feeling light headed or extremely tired it is time for you to seek shade and recharge your fluids.
- Skin flexibility/dryness- try gently pinching and releasing the skin on your arm or hand. If it snaps back
- Constipation or upset stomach- Every organ in your body requires enough water to operate properly. Your intestines are especially dependent on good hydration to complete the task of processing your food inputs.
- Dark/low volume urine- if you are dehydrated, you will immediately notice a deep yellow color and low output of urine.
Many of these symptoms can be attributed to a variety of other minor or major health issues. Be careful to eliminate basic dehydration if you know you have been outdoors or indoors without monitoring your fluid intake. Check out our “Tips for Staying Hydrated” segment to help you stay cool, healthy and water conscious while enjoying your Floridian experience.