Are you ready for spring? Let us help you prepare while you attend A Day of Gardening as we kick-off the spring gardening season. Enjoy gardening seminars and shop with local vendors to purchase plants and plant-related items. Do you need gardening/landscape ... READ MORE
On Thursday, January 18, 2019, Ms. Peggy Machin, current treasurer of the local chapter of the Miami-Dade FNGLA, presented a check in the amount of $5,000 to Dr. Edward “Gilly” Evans, Director of the UF/IFAS Tropical Research and Education ... READ MORE
Sharpen your gardening skills!
Highlands County Master Gardener Class is getting ready to start. Every year, the last Saturday in January, the class begins. The classes are every Wednesday after opening day until the last Wednesday in March. ... READ MORE
Spring is the time of year that many people get enthusiastic about planting trees and shrubs in their landscape. While planting can be done during any season, fluctuations in temperature, rainfall, and other environmental conditions could influence ... READ MORE
There are a lot of benefits to composting
Today in the US, over 60 billion pounds of vegetable scraps go to the landfill. Currently, 5% is made into compost. That means the remaining 95% is creating methane gas as it breaks down in the landfill.
Composting ... READ MORE
When you think of Florida, you may think of citrus. In Highlands County we live among the many orange groves. We are the 3-4th largest citrus producing county in the state, depending on the year. We are also an agricultural ... READ MORE
New Year’s Resolutions are a time when you reflect on the past and set goals for personal improvement. The Florida Gardener has a great opportunity to make some resolutions that can benefit any landscape. I’ve often been asked “What ... READ MORE
This is the fifth post in the Landscape Design Series.
You Made it!
You have made it! It is graduation day-Pomp and Circumstance is playing. Over the previous posts, we covered landscape design tips and secrets to prepare you for next spring. ... READ MORE
This is the fourth post in the Landscape Design Series
“Don’t Panic” has been our reoccurring mantra with the landscape design series. Now that we have discussed some of the basics of landscape design, our confidence should have grown ... READ MORE