Enjoying Fireworks in Florida
Sparklers and fireworks have often been a highlight of celebrations throughout the summer months. While enjoying your summer celebrations, it is important to know that Florida has strict firework laws. According to the South Walton Fire District’s July 4th PSA Transcript, under current Florida law, only sparklers approved by the Florida Division of State Fire Marshal are legal to use. A person responsible for illegally setting off fireworks may be charged with a first-degree misdemeanor. The State Fire Marshal’s website is home to a list of approved sparklers which you can here.
While many do not view sparklers as extremely dangerous, they still have the potential to be very dangerous. If you are enjoying approved sparklers at home, use the 5 following tips to help prioritize safety while enjoying the holiday.
- Use sparklers in an open area, and keep pets away and small children.
- Keep a water hose or fire extinguisher nearby for emergencies.
- Do not carry or store sparklers in pockets.
- Purchase sparklers from a licensed vendor.
- Use a bucket of water to collect the used sparklers. Sparklers may cause fires if not thoroughly extinguished.
There are numerous professional fireworks shows put on throughout the Florida panhandle. Click here for a list of shows on July 4th. Be safe and enjoy you the beautiful Florida weather.
- July 4th PSA Transcript-Fire Safety. 2019. South Walton Fire District. https://www.swfd.org/about-swfd/fire-life-safety/firework-safety.
- Photos retrieved from UF/IFAS photo Database. http://photos.ifas.ufl.edu/.