Happy Mono/Polyunsaturated Fat Tuesday
Fat makes our mouth happy and is necessary for good health. While saturated fates (mostly from animals) tends to cause problems for our bodies, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are important to consume every day.
Try these foods to get more monounsaturated foods every day.
- Nuts – try a variety. Nuts have protein, fiber, and a variety of vitamins and minerals.
- Avocado – add to pizza, soup, sandwiches, and scrambled eggs.
- Oils – try a variety of pourable oils.
- Peanut Butter – mix 1/2 Cup of yogurt and 1/4 Cup of peanut butter together until light and fluffy. It makes a great dip for fruits and vegetables or topping for bran, spiced, and pumpkin muffins.
To get more polyunsaturated fats, try these foods.
- Fatty fish – salmon and albacore tuna (fresh or canned) or sardines.
- Vegetable oils – great for stir-frying or sautéing.
- Walnuts – a great snack.
- Flaxseed – add ground flaxseed to parfaits and bake in breads, muffins, and casseroles.
Hope your Fat Tuesday and every day is a heart healthy fat day.