Veterinarians’ guide to honey bee antibiotics: Webinar
A new FDA ruling means that many beekeepers will need a prescription from a veterinarian to use certain honey bee antibiotics. The UF Honey Bee Lab hosted a webinar on February 22, 2017 to help veterinarians understand honey bees, beekeeping, and bacterial diseases of honey bees.
This webinar looked at:
- a summary of the FDA ruling,
- the history and prevalence of foulbrood in Florida,
- and how to identify the signs of foulbrood in honey bee colonies.
Presenters on this webinar were:
- Dr. Michael Murphy from the US Food and Drug Administration, Center for Veterinary Medicine
- Mr. David Westervelt Chief Apiary Inspector, Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Apiary Inspection
- Dr. Jamie Ellis from the University of Florida Honey Bee Research and Extension Lab
The full recording of this webinar can be found at: https://youtu.be/Vqtwawz-zT4
For more information on the topic, also see New Year, new rule: A look at the FDA ruling on prescriptions for honey bees
Have something to say? Join the discussion on our Facebook page.