Get to know us … is a new feature for UF/IFAS CREC social media. In it we get to know one of the faculty, staff or students working at UF/IFAS CREC and perhaps learn something new and unusual about them.
Today we meet Dr. Amit Levy, Assistant Professor of Plant Pathology with an 80% research and 20% Extension appointment. His general area of interest is the biology of pathogen-host interactions. One of the lab’s research focuses is the biology and molecular characteristics of Citrus tristeza virus (CTV) infection, and identification of the molecular and cellular events which underlie the virus’ ability to infect and spread within a plant. An additional focus of investigation is the citrus greening causal agent, Candidatus Liberibacter asiaticus. Both CTV and Candidatus Liberibacter asiaticus are insect-transmitted phloem restricted pathogens, and we are interested in uncovering the mechanisms of their systemic movement in plants and their transmission by insects. Revealing various step in their cycles of infection would enable the development of novel disease controls.
When did you start working at CREC?
Summer of 2016
What are you really proud about working at CREC?
I am really proud of a number of things:
- Working on serious problems that truly affect the lives of many people, hoping that our work may help
- Succeeding to do good science with a difficult perennial tree; coming from Arabidopsis research, it first looked like an impossible mission
- Collaborations with other groups in the center, where each brings its unique expertise
- Keeping the seminars going
- People in my lab
What are the most rewarding elements of you job?
- Our lab’s scientific success- getting grants, publishing papers
- When people from my lab get acknowledged for their work and success
- Collaborating with talented and smart people
- Being able to help answer a grower’s question
Who is your favorite superhero?
What is your favorite type of citrus?
Citrus macrophylla, it became our ‘model’ plant
Where is your favorite vacation spot?
To be with my family in Israel, my homeland, but I am not sure I would call it a vacation…
What is your favorite thing to cook/eat?
Indian food, but to eat, not to cook.
If you could invite three people to share a meal with, who would it be (other than family)?
Martin Gore (from Depeche Mode)
What is your favorite song or recording artist?
It’s always changing, but ones that I always come back to are Peter Gabriel, Depeche Mode and Peter Hamil
Do you have a favorite movie? Book?
Favorite book- In search of lost time (Marcel Proust)
Favorite movie- Fanny and Alexander (Bergman)