By Pam Phillippe
Fair time is just around the corner, and with fairs come petting zoos. Keeping your children safe around fair and petting zoo animals is important, including good hand washing hygiene.
When visiting a petting zoo or animal exhibits, you and your children should:
- Know where the hand washing stations are located
- Always wash your hands after touching the animal, pen or feeding equipment
- Running water and soap are best. Use gel if soap and water are not available.
- Keep foods and drinks out of animal areas.
- Do not share your food with animals
- Do not eat raw (unpasteurized) dairy products.