UF Faculty and Staff Recognized for Outstanding Teaching and Advising
By: Meredith Oglesby, 352-392-1963, firstname.lastname@example.org
Media Contact: Jarred Shellhouse, 352-392-1963, email@example.com
GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Traditionally, the UF/IFAS College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS) hosts an annual scholarship and leadership awards banquet to celebrate the successes of the college’s teachers, advisors and students. This year, with COVID-19, the banquet was transitioned to several smaller celebrations, held throughout the week of April 12.
“Our faculty and staff in the college continue to demonstrate excellence in teaching, advising and mentoring,” said CALS Dean Elaine Turner. “Our teachers have faced many challenges this year, but they have overcome each one with innovation, resilience and focusing on making the best learning experiences for our students. We are excited to celebrate all the accomplishments of our faculty and staff.”
Nine faculty and staff were honored at this year’s celebrations for their exemplary dedication, adaptability and creativity in teaching and supporting students.
Early Career Excellence in Teaching Award
The Early Career Excellence in Teaching Award is given to pre-tenure or pre-promotion faculty members who have excelled in innovative teaching methods early in their career.
- Alison Adams, assistant professor, School of Forest, Fisheries, and Geomatics Sciences and School of Natural Resources and Environment
- Cameron Jack, lecturer, entomology and nematology department
Undergraduate Faculty Advisor/Mentor of the Year Award
Faculty recognized as Undergraduate Faculty Advisor/Mentor of the Year have excelled in engaging undergraduate students through advising and mentoring.
- Antonio Faciola, assistant professor, department of animal sciences
Excellence in Graduate Program Support Award
The Excellence in Graduate Program Support Award recognizes a staff member who provided outstanding graduate student program support.
- Jessica Herman, academic assistant III, food and resource economics department
Graduate Teacher/Advisor of the Year
The Graduate Teacher/Advisor of the Year award recognizes faculty members who excel in teaching, advising and mentoring graduate students.
- Karen Kainer, professor, School of Forest, Fisheries, and Geomatics Sciences
- Héctor Pérez, professor, environmental horticulture department
Undergraduate Teacher of the Year
Faculty members recognized as Undergraduate Teacher of the Year exemplify excellence, innovation and effectiveness in undergraduate teaching.
- Misti Sharp, lecturer, food and resource economics department
- Matthew Sowcik, assistant professor, department of agricultural education and communication
Undergraduate Professional Advisor of the Year
The Undergraduate Professional Advisor of the Year award recognizes professional advisors who excel in supporting and advising undergraduate students.
- Danielle Shu, academic advisor, food and resource economics department