Full Circle Dairy’s internship program is designed to give students hands-on experience with automated feeders, as well as with their animals. The Heifer Management department encompasses newborn, weaned, breeding age, and pregnant heifers allowing for an individualized internship experience based on student interests.
Full Circle Dairy believes automated feeders are the future of the dairy industry, and has transitioned their replacement heifer program from individual hutches outside, to group housing off of four automated feeders.
Main Purpose: to learn and apply skills and knowledge in raising replacement calves and heifers
- Paid internship
- Housing available
- Possibility for AI certification
- Possibility for full time employment
- Acquire practical on-farm knowledge related to the care and diagnosing of replacement calves and heifers
- Understand variables/constraints that affect decision-making of treatment, care, and everyday life in the replacement heifer program
- Understand how to use the automated feeder program as a diagnostic tool for calf health
- Learn to correctly administer intramuscular, subcutaneous, and intravenous shots following Beef Quality Assurance Standards
- Learn to correctly apply paste dehorner
- Learn correct livestock handling/restraining techniques
- Become proficient in the maintenance and cleaning of automated feeders
- Become proficient in the reading, recording, and entering of herd health records via DairyComp305
Mentoring: students will work and learn under the direct supervision of management and former interns. Weekly performance meetings can be requested.
Application Date: rolling acceptance, with 3 month, 6 month, and 1 year long internships available.
Assistant Heifer Manager
1479 SE Winquepin St
Lee, FL 32059