Job Opportunity!! Now hiring Student Intern for Grayson Bay Oyster Company
HARVEST: Helping Aquaculture Reap Value and Enhance Student Training
Florida Sea Grant (FSG) is pleased to announce a university and college student internship program, HARVEST: Helping Aquaculture Reap Value and Enhance Student Training, offering college students paid part-time internships (up to 20 hours per week) with aquaculture businesses. Student interns will be established as OPS employees of the University of Florida with a set salary of $15/hour exclusive of UF fringe.
Grayson Bay Oyster Company is looking for an energetic, self-motivated individual who wants to learn and work in the oyster aquaculture industry. We are dedicated to sustainable shellfish farming, utilizing the most innovative growing techniques.
This is a paid internship funded by the University of Florida Sea Grant Program. Selected intern will be paid through the University of Florida.
The candidate selected will learn all aspects of working on an oyster farm & in our processing facility.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must be enrolled in college or a university.
- Degree focus in aquaculture, shellfish, marine biology, environmental studies, natural resources management, biology is required.
- Must be organized, punctual, & on time for work.
- Must have a valid driver’s license & reliable transportation to work sites in Pensacola and surrounding area.
- Must be capable of understanding & following instructions from the supervisor.
- Must be able to work outside in all weather conditions – wet, cold, hot, dry, & rough water, at various times of the day, including early morning hours, evenings, & weekends
- Must be able to swim.
- Must be physically able to lift, push, & pull up to 60 pounds.
- Must wear proper safety and personal protective equipment (PPE) when necessary and comply with all health & safety guidelines.
- Must be able to speak & understand English.
- Must work well with other crew members, & independently
- Must maintain work area(s) & be respectful of neighboring communities & businesses.
- Must have their own dive mask and snorkel
- Preferred Experience but not Required:
- CPR Certified
- Boat handling experience
- Scuba Certified
Compensation & Schedule
- $15 per hour and no more than 20 hours per week.
- Working mostly weekends and one regular week-day.
- Responsible for own food, water, and snacks.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary, until January 31, 2022
Application: Submit a cover letter, work and education history and letter of recommendation to Brandon Smith at email@example.com and Chris Verlinde at firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Must be received by 5 pm Friday July 2, 2021.
Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. The University of Florida is a public institution and subject to all requirements under Florida Sunshine and Public Record laws. The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The University of Florida is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression.