Put Your Best Fork Forward
March is National Nutrition Month®, a time to celebrate a positive relationship with food and to focus on personal dietary goals. This March, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics invites you to “Put Your Best Fork Forward”. What does putting your best “fork” forward mean to you? The key idea is that we each hold the tools, or “forks”, to make healthier food choices. Just like putting your best “foot” forward, this often means showing oneself in the best or most positive way possible, and to make a favorable impression.
We are all unique, and putting your best fork forward is going to look different for you than it will for your friends, family, or coworkers! So, think about what small changes you could make during National Nutrition Month® that over time will help improve your health now, and into the future. If you don’t have any ideas right off hand, don’t worry! The Academy’s nutrition experts are on a mission to help guide you on your journey towards healthier eating styles.
Consider some of these small changes you can make to start your journey towards a healthier you:
• Consume breakfast every morning
• Eat fresh fruit for dessert or a snack
• Find creative ways to incorporate more veggies at meals
• Swap white bread and pasta for whole grain varieties
• Eat less salt by eating more fresh foods, less processed foods, and avoiding the salt shaker
• Replace sugar-sweetened beverages with water
• Focus on appropriate portion sizes; try only going for seconds if you are still hungry
Remember, you can choose just one or two of these small changes to achieve large health successes. To find more information from the Academy, check out the link below where you can find fun games, helpful nutrition handouts and tips, and a plethora of nutrition resources:http://www.eatright.org/resources/national-nutrition-month <