America Recycles Day
One of the earliest introductions many of us will get to sustainability comes in the form of recycling. Blue bins for unwanted paper are popping up in offices across the country, curbside services are becoming more available and easier to use, and the recycling rate has risen over the past few decades.
But can we do more?
Keep America Beautiful believes so and is sponsoring America Recycles Day on November 15th. The current national recycling rate is 34%. In Florida, we hit 54% last year. This puts us on track to meet the state goal of 75% by 2020 – but there is still work to be done.
Some quick tips to help you recycle more and keep the recycling rate rising:
- Check the Pinellas County Solid Waste website when you aren’t sure how to recycle or dispose of something.
- Make sure that your recyclables are clean and dry. Rinse bottles and cans to make sure no food waste is left on or in them. Food does not belong in curbside recycling bins and contamination can make it difficult or impossible for the other materials to be recycled correctly.
- Take the pledge for America Recycles Day and then keep with it!
- Support recycling by buying products made from recycled materials. Recycling is a business and the larger the market for recycled products, the larger the demand for recycling to occur in the first place.
- If your city is hosting an event, make sure to participate: