Green it UP!
There are lots of great ways to green up the holidays and focus on what is important. Spending time with family and friends, conserving resources (and money), de-stressing the holidays, and finding special ways to celebrate rather than spend, spend, spend are great goals.
Here are some of my favorite ideas:
- Think “green” while shopping. Try to buy items with minimal packaging and/or made with recycled content. Check product labels to determine an item’s recyclability and whether it is made from recycled materials.
- Thousands of paper and plastic shopping bags end up in landfills every year. Reduce the number of bags thrown out by bringing reusable cloth bags for holiday gift shopping. Tell store clerks you don’t need a bag for small or oversized purchases.
- Decorate with more energy efficient LEDs (light emitting diodes) strings rather than the larger, old fashioned lights.
- Instead of spending money on commercial goods, give the gift of your time and talent to loved ones this year. Offer to make dinner, walk the dog, help with gardening or home repairs, or invite friends over for Fair Trade coffee and tea.
- Make a donation in honor of a loved one. Choose a cause that addresses an issue that you and your friends and family members care about and support.
Have a healthy, safe and green holiday!