One Health at the Think20: Seven Pandemic Teachings
From October 4th – 6th, the Think20 Summit was held in Milan, Italy. One of the Engagement Groups of the G20, the T20 “brings together leading think tanks and research centers from around the world, with the aim of contributing, through research and policy proposals, to the G20 Leaders’ reflections on the big issues related to global governance.”
On October 5th, the Director of the One Health Center Ilaria Capua was invited to speak on the COVID-19 pandemic. Dr. Capua took this opportunity to share her “Seven Pandemic Teachings”, concepts that we should all take away from this transformative event and use as a launching pad towards creating a more sustainable future.
Her 7 Pandemic Teachings were:
- The health of humans-animals-plants-and-the-environment are interconnected and interdependent
- Institutional denial can be fueled by social media and cause the failure of any pandemic response
- Vaccine equity is an urgent priority
- There is no economy if people are not healthy -“Health in all policies”
- Resource sustainability efforts are to be accelerated
- Covid-19 has different impacts on M and F and children
- Citizen empowerment is essential to combat scientific illiteracy
She then expanded these teachings into “building blocks for the future”, explaining how these concepts have to be “freed from their boxes” and come together to put health at the center of all decision-making.
Watch the full presentation at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0VuAKjTrS8&t=8178s