Basics of Home Canning
Are you interested in home canning?
The UF/IFAS Extension office in Levy County had at one time held canning classes. Sad to say, the agent who used to hold these classes has retired. Well, sad for us – good news for her.
Below is a list of helpful hints, guides and links to help you learn the basics of home canning.
Helpful Hint – Guides – Links
Here are some popular links from our main website about the equipment you need and the types of canners.
Home Canning Equipment – Clemson University
Using Pressure Canners UGA
Using Boiling Water Canners, UG
The USDA has put out a complete book called USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning, (2015 revision).
Included in this online book are the following subjects
U.S.D.A. Complete Guide to Home Canning
- Principles of Home Canning
- Selecting, Preparing, and Canning Fruit and Fruit Products
- Selecting, Preparing, and Canning Tomatoes and Tomato Products
- Selecting, Preparing, and Canning Vegetables and Vegetable Products
- Preparing and Canning Poultry, Red Meats, and Seafood
- Preparing and Canning Fermented Foods and Pickled Vegetables
- Preparing and Canning Jams and Jellies
Here is the link to the above categories.