Farm Food Safety Workshops – October 5 & 26
Two Farm Food Safety Workshops are scheduled for October in the Panhandle. A Building Your Own Farm’s Food Safety Manual Workshop is scheduled for October 5th in Crestview and a Produce Safety Alliance (PSA) Grower Training is scheduled for October 26 in Marianna. The PSA Grower Training curriculum is approved by the FDA to meet the requirements of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Produce Safety Rule.
Which Training Should Growers Attend?
- All fruit and vegetable farms should have a food safety manual. If you haven’t created a manual yet, then you will learn what needs to go in your manual and develop your own manual at the Building Your Own Farm’s Food Safety Manual Workshop in Crestview.
- Fruit and vegetable farms that have an annual value of produce sold (based on a three year average) of $25,000 (adjusted for inflation) or more are required to attend an FDA approved FSMA training such as the PSA Grower Training offered in Marianna.
- If both of the above criteria apply to you, then you should attend both trainings.
Benefits of Attending Each Workshop
- The Building Your Own Farm’s Food Safety Manual Workshop will not only allow you to develop your own Food Safety Manual, but it will also help you prepare for a Food Safety Audit. You will go home with an electronic copy of you personalized food safety manual, food safety training materials for you employees, and a food safety reference notebook. This workshop also provides CEUs for pesticide applicators.
- The PSA Grower Training will cover the requirements of the FSMA produce safety rule. It will also cover key Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) that are necessary in a farm food safety plan. You will go home with a FSMA produce safety rule reference notebook and a Certificate of Course Attendance compliant with FSMA requirements.
Cost to Attend Each Workshop and Registration Information
- The fee for the Building Your Own Farm’s Food Safety Manual Workshop is $35 for the first person representing a farm and $15 for one additional attendee. Registration fee includes the training materials, an electronic copy of your personalized manual, lunch, refreshments, and a Certificate of Course Attendance. Register by calling the Jackson County Extension Office at (850)482-9620 or emailing Sabrina at email@example.com. (Note: This workshop will be held at the Okaloosa County Extension Office, 3098 Airport Rd., Crestview, FL.)
- The fee for the PSA Grower Training is $95. For attendees who are members of the Florida Fruit & Vegetable Association (FFVA), a discounted rate of $80 is available. (Not sure if you’re a member? Contact Sonia Tighe at 321-214-5245 or firstname.lastname@example.org). Registration fee includes the training materials, lunch, refreshments, and a Certificate of Course Attendance that complies with the training requirements of FSMA. Register online at Online Registration or download the training brochure to register by mail.
If you have any questions pertaining to which training is right for you or other general food safety questions, please feel free to contact Matt Lollar with the Jackson County Extension Office at (850)482-9620 or email@example.com.