Spring Cleaning Tips
With winter behind us, many people are getting ready to air out their homes and kick out the dust bunnies and cobwebs. However, the real secret to a clean home isn’t doing one big sweep each year—it’s making cleaning a routine part of home life.
Some people get excited at the prospect of cleaning, others…not so much. But like it or not, we all have to keep our living areas clean if we want a healthy home.1 Here are some spring cleaning tips you can use all year long:
- Develop a schedule that everyone in the home is responsible for. Chores done on a regular basis mean that cleaning doesn’t become a daunting task.1
- Decide which chores need to be done on a daily, weekly, monthly, or seasonal basis. Work them into your schedule accordingly.1
- Keep everything you need in one place so that it’s always easily at hand.1
- Don’t forget your pets! Pets contribute dirt, hair, dander, and other contaminants to the home. Limiting pets to certain areas and keeping them and their bedding clean will help reduce their impact.2
- Mold and mildew are common household problems, especially in Florida.2 See Keeping It Clean: Controlling Mildew for tips on treating and preventing mold and mildew in the home.
- Wash sheets and bedding, and vacuum regularly to keep dust at bay.2
- Mary N. Harrison, Amanda Griffin, and Randall A. Cantrell, Keeping It Clean: Plan Your Cleaning, FCS5232-02, Gainesville: University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, 2014, https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy787
- Mary N. Harrison, Amanda Griffin, and Randall A. Cantrell, Keeping It Clean: A Healthy House, FCS5232-01, Gainesville: University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, 2014, https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy786
Photo by ferlistockphoto/iStock/Thinkstock
Latest posts by sgrenrock (see all)
- ‘Hands on, holistic’ approach to science of cattle reproduction - October 20, 2016
- December 3 is Dine In Day - October 17, 2016
- In the wake of Hurricane Matthew, UF/IFAS Extension faculty step up as ‘second responders’ - October 11, 2016