Green Cleaning Products
The “Do It Yourself” Approach
Have you ever wondered whether what you use to clean your floor or your kitchen sink is environmentally friendly?
If you’re concerned about the impact of your spring cleaning on the planet, you may want to consider a DIY approach. Homemade cleaners are made of products that you probably already have around the house, such as white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and bleach. When properly prepared, DIY cleaners have lower environmental impacts and are a cheaper alternative to store-bought cleaners.1,2
See the following UF/IFAS publications for tips and instructions for making your own green cleaning products:
- Homemade Household Cleaners
- Cleaning and Sanitizing the Kitchen: Using Inexpensive Household Food-Safe Products
Don’t want to make your own cleaners?
You may have noticed that a growing number of cleaning products are now marketed as environmentally friendly. However, be aware that marketing terms like “ecosafe” aren’t regulated, which means that there are no specific criteria for products labeled as “ecosafe.”2
To better understand your purchasing options, go to the Safer Choice program page on the EPA website to learn more about products that are better for both people and the environment.3 You can even look up a product to see if it has the EPA’s “Safer Choice” label. Happy cleaning!
- Amanda Griffin and Randall A. Cantrell, Homemade Household Cleaners, FCS3319, Gainesville: University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, 2014, https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy1449 2.
- Janet Buffer, Lydia Medeiros, Mary Schroeder, Patricia Kendall, Jeff LeJeune, John Sofos, and Amy Simonne, Cleaning and Sanitizing the Kitchen: Using Inexpensive Household Food-Safe Products, FCS8 OH 2010, Gainesville: University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, 2015, http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy1280
- “Safer Choice,” U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 2016, http://www.epa.gov/saferchoice
Photo by JPC-PROD/iStock/Thinkstock
Latest posts by sgrenrock (see all)
- New director of UF/IFAS Extension south central district - June 30, 2016
- Five tips to reduce mosquitoes around your home - June 29, 2016
- Kids get hooked on science at UF/IFAS Gulf Coast REC - June 28, 2016