When we travel, it’s especially easy to choose convenience over healthy choices. In the rush from here to there, we often feel we don’t have time to take care of ourselves, and, as a result, we often get to our destinations tired and depleted. As you make your holiday travel plans, use these tips to make your journey one that’s kind to your body.
- Drink water (Rusch 2014). It sounds obvious, but it’s easy to go hours without water if you’re stuck in an airport, on a plane, or in a car. Packing a reusable water bottle that you can refill at a pit stop or after you pass through security can make it easier to stay hydrated.
- Pack healthy snacks and on-the-go meals (Rusch 2014). Airport and roadside fair isn’t known for being the healthiest. Opt for nuts, fresh or dried fruit, sandwiches, and other non-perishable foods instead of the Cinnabon. If you are flying, remember that liquid food cannot be taken through security.
- Make a list of prescription and over-the-counter medicines you will need (or likely need) during your trip and check off these items as your pack. Make sure to put medicines in your carry-on luggage so you always have access to them (CDC 2011).
- Don’t stress (Radunovich 2013). Travel delays are inconvenient and annoying, but things out of our control aren’t worth stressing over. In case you have to wait, pack items such as books, dvds, or puzzles to help pass the time. Remember, we all get to where we’re going—eventually!
Healthy Traveling Resources
- CDC Resources for Travelers
- CDC Travel Health Notices
- Travel Alerts and Warnings (US Department of State)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). 2011. “Pack Smart.” Accessed December 4, 2015. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/pack-smart
Radunovich, Heidi. 2013. Managing Stress During the Holidays. FCS5266. Gainesville: University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences. Accessed December 4, 2015. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy1404
Rusch, Carley. November 14, 2014. “Travel Smarter: 4 Easy Ways to Upgrade Your Nutrition to First Class.” UF/IFAS Family Album (blog). Accessed December 7, 2015. http://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/familyalbum/2014/11/14/travel-smarter-4-easy-ways-to-upgrade-your-nutrition-to-first-class/
Photo credit: Blankstock/iStock/Thinkstock
Latest posts by sgrenrock (see all)
- UF/IFAS to hold sustainable agriculture network kickoff event - August 30, 2016
- Hastings farmers explore sweet potatoes as alternative crop - August 29, 2016
- Collecting mosquito repellent for the homeless - August 26, 2016