Christmas Trees — Crop and Décor
Christmas trees are a common sight this time of year. Before they arrive in people’s homes, Christmas trees are grown and harvested just like any other crop. Find out more fun facts and helpful resources about Christmas trees…
Did you know…?
- In 2012, over seventeen million Christmas trees were harvested in the United States (USDA 2014).
- According to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS), “it takes three to six years to grow a well-shaped, six- to eight-foot tree” (2015).
- As they grow, Christmas trees have a positive environmental impact because, like any tree, they take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen into the atmosphere (Polk County UF/IFAS Extension 2014).
- Christmas trees are grown in Florida! Varieties grown in-state include red cedar, Virginia pine, sand pine, and Leyland cypress (FDACS 2015).
Want to know more about Christmas trees? Check out these resources:
- Finding the Perfect Christmas Tree (UF/IFAS Solutions for Your Life video)
- Christmas Tree Varieties (UF/IFAS Extension publications)
- Christmas Tree Farm Locator (FDACS)
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. 2015. “Christmas Tree Farms.” Accessed November 23, 2015. http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Marketing-and-Development/Consumer-Resources/Buy-Fresh-From-Florida/Christmas-Tree-Farms
Polk County UF/IFAS Extension. 2014. Christmas Trees: ‘Tis the Season! Accessed November 23, 2015. http://polk.ifas.ufl.edu/NR/Publications/2013ChristmasTrees_Polk.pdf
US Department of Agriculture (USDA). 2014. Cut Christmas Trees: 2012 and 2007. Accessed November 23, 2015. http://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Publications/2012/Full_Report/Volume_1,_Chapter_2_US_State_Level/st99_2_035_035.pdf
Photo credit: Marisol Amador, UF/IFAS
Latest posts by sgrenrock (see all)
- UF/IFAS to hold sustainable agriculture network kickoff event - August 30, 2016
- Hastings farmers explore sweet potatoes as alternative crop - August 29, 2016
- Collecting mosquito repellent for the homeless - August 26, 2016