Keep It Clean: Kitchen Appliances
Although your kitchen may look clean, it can harbor harmful bacteria that can cause colds, foodborne illnesses, and more. If you clean your kitchen appliances routinely, however, you can rid your kitchen of bacteria and keep you and your food safe.
Here are tips on how to clean common kitchen appliances in your home:
- Remove spatters and spills when they happen so foods won’t become stuck in the microwave.
- Use a damp cloth with warm water to wipe the microwave clean.
- For spots that are harder to remove, scrub with baking soda, a mild soap, or dishwashing liquid.
- Do not use oven cleaners or steel wool to clean microwaves.
- Throw away any loose food scraps found in the dishwasher.
- Take out any removable parts, and sanitize them in the sink using warm water and soap.
- Wipe the inside and outside of the dishwasher with a sanitized solution, and rinse with clean water.
- Wipe up spills immediately. Then, clean surfaces with hot, soapy water. Rinse.
- Once a week, search through your fridge for any expired foods to prevent mold growth.
- To eliminate odors inside the refrigerator, leave an opened box of baking soda on a shelf.
- Clean the outside of the fridge using a soft cloth and a mild soap.
- Before cleaning, be sure the oven is off, and open the door to allow it to cool.
- Remove any detachable parts, such as the fan and racks, and soak them in the sink.
- Use warm water and soap to clean the inside of the oven, and rinse afterwards to remove any soap. (Try to avoid dripping water while cleaning the inside of the oven.)
- Sanitize the inside and outside of oven doors with water and soap. Rinse.
Adapted and excerpted from:
“Cooking Equipment: Convection Ovens.” UMass Extension. (Accessed 10/2015).
“Microwave Ovens and Food Safety.” USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service. (rev. 10/2011).
“Keeping Your Kitchen Under Control.” University of Rochester Medical Center. (rev. 10/2015).
“Refrigeration and Food Safety.” USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service. (rev. 03/2015).
Photo Credits: Highwaystarz-Photography/iStock/Thinkstock