The Escambia County 4-H Shooting Sports Program
The Escambia County 4-H Shooting Sports Program provides young people an opportunity to become responsible and productive members of society through the development of life skills, character enhancement and personal growth. Using the subject matter expertise and resources of Extension through training in shooting sports; county faculty, volunteer leaders and coaches transfer knowledge, skills and values to compliment the participants’ abilities and help develop human capital.
The following are the program objectives:
- Enhance development of life skills such as problem solving, teamwork, leadership, self-esteem, and personal growth through safe, educational and socially acceptable youth development methods.
- Teach safe and responsible use of ﬁrearms and archery equipment including sound decision making and self-discipline using experiential educational methods.
- Encourage the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship and ethical behavior.
- Promote participation in natural resources and related natural science programs by exposing participants to the content through target shooting, hunting and related activities.
- Strengthen families through participation in these life-long recreational activities.
- Provide training for adult volunteer leaders in the development of life skills for youth and to be positive role models and mentors.
- Provide volunteer instructors safe and proper instructional techniques and information on how to plan, conduct and manage 4-H shooting sports clubs.
The Escambia County 4-H Shooting Sports Program was revived in 2018 with the creation of the Escambia Shooting Stars 4-H Club. The Escambia County 4-H Foundation generously provided funds to build a shooting sports barn and purchase a shed to house equipment. The 4-H Program Assistant applied for and received a grant from the NRA Foundation for shooting sports equipment valued at over $12,000.
In 2019, a shooting sports day camp was created and attended by 22 youth and six volunteers. Over 30 youth were enrolled in the Escambia Shooting Stars 4-H Club and seven volunteers were certified or recertified in the archery and shotgun shooting sports disciplines at a district training. Shooting sports programs were also created for local military 4-H programs that impacted over 100 additional youth.
Enrollment has begun for the 2019-2020 4-H year. If you would like to participate in the Escambia County 4-H Shooting Sports program, please contact Escambia County 4-H at 850-475-5230.