National Turkey Federation Internship Program Position Title: Intern Location: Washington, D.C. Compensation: Paid Internship Duration: 2019 Fall Semester Start Date: September 2019 End Date: December 2019 Hours: 40 hrs/wk Application Deadline: Friday, June 14
Company Profile: Since 1940, the National Turkey Federation has protected and advocated for the various interests of the turkey industry. NTF’s mission is to be the national advocate for all segments of the turkey industry and to provide services that enhance its members’ ability to provide consumers with high quality, nutritious products.
Nearly 300-member companies from every facet of the industry are affiliated with NTF. We represent more than 95% of the turkey industry. NTF’s programmatic endeavors are targeted to assist growers, processors, distributors and suppliers. Considerable emphasis is placed on member services; government affairs, both legislative and regulatory; consumer education; and communications management.
Position Description: The intern will assist each of the four departments at NTF.
• Attend meetings with agricultural organizations.
• Attend Congressional hearings and briefings.
• Work with membership database to understand the composition of membership.
• Draft messages to reach key stakeholders.
• Assist Governmental Affairs teams with critical projects.
• Visit a turkey processing facility.
• The candidate will gain a strong understanding of a wide variety of legislative, regulatory, media relations and trade association structure.
• Understand the process of government regulations and how it differs from legislation.
• Applicants must be a recent graduate or have completed their junior year and are enrolled in a degree-granting program in an undergraduate school during the internship. Pursuit of, or degree in, agriculture, communications and/or political science studies strongly desired. Strong consideration will be given to those interested in poultry science.
• Outstanding organization skills, excellent time management and judgment.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Familiarity with various social media outlets and related marketing strategies.
• Interest in all aspects of association/ trade work.
• Positive Attitude
• Minimum GPA of 3.0 preferred
Application Instructions Please send resume, cover letter and letter of recommendation to Rebecca Mackey at RMackey@turkeyfed.org. Incomplete applications will not be considered.