Volusia County Sea Turtle Program Seeking Volunteer Interns for 2017 Nesting Season
Positions are multifaceted, including sea turtle and shorebird nest monitoring work, as well as the opportunity to gain insight into the management of a Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP), government administration, and enforcement of rules and regulations pertaining to the protection of endangered and threatened species and the beach environment. Self-starters and eager learners are highly encouraged to apply.
- Conduct early morning sea turtle nesting surveys – includes monitoring, marking, and excavating sea turtle nests and recording all necessary data under the supervision of a field biologist and along with other volunteers
- Conduct shorebird nest surveys and perform educational stewardship activities
- Operate and maintain four wheel drive vehicles – a vehicle for work transportation will be provided.
- Use high accuracy GPS units to collect waypoints and relevant information at all nest sites
- Data entry work including the use of Microsoft Access and Excel programs to accurately record biological data and track other HCP-related information
- Distribute educational material to coastal residents and businesses, interact positively with the public, and participate in edu-cational outreach events
- Monitoring other coastal wildlife, coordinating beach clean-up events, responding to marine mammal and sea turtle strandings, assisting with sea turtle lighting surveys
- All applicants must be 21 years or older
- Pass a background check
- Have or be able to obtain a Florida drivers license
- Must be able to handle physically demanding conditions including extreme heat, moderate rain and biting insects
- Preferred candidates will plan to attend one of the FWC Nesting Beach Survey Workshops (http://myfwc.com/research/wildlife/sea-turtles/nesting/training-materials/).
Internship program hours can be used for college credits. Room/board/salary and benefits are NOT provided.
To apply, mail or e-mail a cover letter, resume and three professional references (including available start/finish dates and number of days per week you are able to commit) to:
Deadline for all applications is Wednesday, March 1, 2017
Please direct questions to Becki O’Keefe at email@example.com or (386) 238-4716
Please visit www.volusiaseaturtles.org for more information about the program.