Pumpkin Decorating Contest
Holiday cheer is something we could all use these days! Get in the Halloween spirit by participating in the Pumpkin Decorating Contest!
We invite all youth to submit 1-3 photos of their painted or carved pumpkin by October 30th! Winners will be selected in the following categories:
• 4-H Spirit
To submit photos go to: https://ufl.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4IMo6STYsaGT2SN. Winners will be announced on our Alachua 4-H Facebook page on October 31st!
Some Tips for Painting a Pumpkin
• A base layer of spray paint will help the other paint coats to stick. Spray paint works great for this along with other craft paints.
• Smaller painting areas are best done with acrylic craft paints
• Consider using other materials like craft paper or material like felt
If you are looking to go the messy but still fun route carving a pumpkin here are some tips:
• Start with a pumpkin that is sturdy, doesn’t have bruises and has a flat bottom
• Consider cutting a hole from the bottom which helps prevent it from caving in later
• You don’t need fancy tools to scrape out the pulp, an ice cream scoop will work
• Bonus- If you have chickens they love to eat the pulp
• Sketch out your design and do a light rough cut of your design
• If you are using a sharp tool remember not to rush and keep your tools dry so they don’t get slippery
• Remember to use your scrapes! You can use toothpicks or other things to incorporate them ack into the design
• Put petroleum jelly on the cared edges to add moisture and help the pumpkin stay fresh longer
• Sprinkle some cinnamon inside the pumpkin if you want to have a pumpkin pie smell
• Add battery powered candles to safely make your pumpkin glow